The Good Rascals is a podcast about outsiders who care and dare to reimagine the world. Many people feel as though they don’t fit in. Some take that feeling and turn it into passion and constructive change. Artists, thought leaders, entrepreneurs, as well as all sorts of outsider people where titles don’t quite suit them, are interviewed by host Kevin Del Principe about why they identify as outsiders and how they have turned that energy into changing the world for the better.
“I’ve always felt like an outsider who does not fit in but still cares about the world. Who is with me? My thought is that lots of people feel this way, and that feeling apart from institutions but still connected to them is a good posture to reimagine the world. This podcast is about highlighting people who are on a path less traveled but keep walking and caring and imagining different ways of being. I’m interested in chatting with and learning from rascals who use their mischievous ways to make the world better.” Kevin Del Principe, host of The Good Rascals
About the Host: Kevin Del Principe, Founder of Dog Heart Land and Co-Founder of production company Save Them Wild Dogs, is a writer and film director. The son of a snowplow truck driver and a school nurse, Kevin grew up outside of Buffalo but now makes his home in Memphis. I Animal is Kevin’s debut novel, published by Tumbleweed Books. He directed and co-wrote the feature film Up on the Glass, available in North America through Gravitas Ventures and in the UK via Miracle Media. Kevin earned his MFA in Writing for Screen and Television at the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts.
Special thanks to Brian Pascoe for creating the jingle for The Good Rascals. Check him out on instagram @brianpassgo. Intro podcast lyrics written by Kevin Del Principe.
The Good Rascals
- Ep 20 Kris Coleman - The Power of "Pushing the Envelope" and "Don't Want To Go Nights"What style of thinking leads to more opportunities? Kris Coleman (comedian, AKA Comedian Big Daddy Ice) talks to Kevin about the mentality that's been generating positive results for him in his personal life and professionally. Kris chats about "pushing the envelope" in his comedy and how good things happen on "don't want to go nights" […]
- Ep 19 Suzy Hollenbach - Do Not Look Away, and Do Good When You CanWhat should we do when we see suffering? Suzy Hollenbach (Founder of the non-profit animal rescue organization All 4s Rescue League) chats with Kevin about what she's seeing in the Memphis neighborhoods that need the most support. She also shares how her work with All 4s Rescue League started. Source/Mention/Resource: Book -The World We Have: A Buddhist […]
- Ep 18 Murray Warburton - Drawing Meaning From Adversity and Leaning Into Difficulty To GrowHow can we make sense of the things in life that feel absurd? Murray Warburton (animator, editor, and filmmaker) chats with Kevin about how he's striving to tell an animated story about the war in Ukraine based on his experience being in a relationship with his girlfriend, who is from Ukraine. Murray and Kevin also […]
- Ep 17 Rollence Patugan - Shining a Light on What Should Be Evident: People Have ValueIs art required to remind us things that we ought to already know? Rollence Patugan (photographer and college teacher) chats with Kevin about his artistic motivations. Kevin also shares a story about how Rollence gave him one of his photographs during a challenging time in his life. Sources/Mentions/Resources: Article - "At War with the Obvious" […]
- Ep 16 Aris Lanaridis - The Beautiful Music of Empathy: And the Power of PerseveranceThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews Aris Lanaridis (composer and lecturer in Music). Aris composes for film and various media. On this episode, Aris chats about the connections he sees between narrative and music. He also shares a message of encouragement and perseverance to the next generation. Source/Mention: Hunter Thompson Quote
- Ep 15 Katherine E. Lewis - Family and Place: Rewriting the RulesThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews Katherine E. Lewis (writer, storyteller, and filmmaker). Katherine’s written for TV, podcasts, storytelling apps, and recently, she’s co-written a novel. Other storytelling mediums for Katherine include: drawing, painting, and animating. On this episode, Kevin and Katherine chat about the coming-of-age novel that she co-wrote with her sister Rebecca Lewis, […]
- Ep 14 Megan Murtha - Blue-Collar Art: Making the Process the PointThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews Megan Murtha (playwright, director, composer, and professor). Megan and Kevin share their experiences growing up in West Seneca, NY and how their hometown had an impact on their artistic practices. Megan explains how she is focusing on cultivating a supportive, community-conscious process in her art as well as alternative ways […]
- Ep 13 Kyndle Wylde - This is the Work: Tell Your Story to Encourage OthersThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews Kyndle Wylde (musician, singer, & songwriter). Kyndle explains how she learned to listen to her inner voice to tell her own story on her debut EP, Kyndle Wylde. Kyndle and Kevin both share stories from their youth where they felt on the outside of things and how these experiences […]
- Ep 12 Mark Blaszak - Life Advice: When Asked to Play the Bass, Say Yes Even if You Don't Play the BassThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his long-standing friend and creative partner Mark Blaszak (entrepreneur, business owner, videographer, cinematographer, storyteller, & co-founder of Uplifter Video). Mark and Kevin chat about how they became friends in high school by playing in a band and how their creative partnership has continued all these years--most recently by working […]
- Ep 11 Matt Chavanne - Hit the Snare a Little Louder: Duality, Unity, & CommunityThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his friend/cousin Matt Chavanne (lighting designer, electrical engineer, musician/drummer for Humble Braggers). Matt and Kevin chat about their upbringing and how they've become closer over the years. Matt describes maintaining a career that is both technical and creative and how there is unity between these concepts that are often […]
- Ep 10 Rob Currin - Do Not Mess with the Library: Competition, Inspiration, & CreationThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his longtime friend Rob Currin (teacher, coach, creative). Rob and Kevin chat about how their friendship began while rallying for the local public library. Rob explains the nexus between competition, inspiration, and creation. *The three books whose ideas I mentioned in the podcast were Making Movies by Sidney Lumet, Falling […]
- Ep 9 Jon Hornyak - Finding Freedom and People to Show the WayThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his friend and neighbor Jon Hornyak (musician, entrepreneur, Sr. Executive Director of the Memphis Chapter at the Recording Academy). Jon explains the importance of mentorship in his multi-faceted music career, and how the Recording Academy now has mentorship programs. He also shares how Memphis provided him creative freedom as […]
- Ep 8 Gerry Trentham - Body Awareness and the Benefit of Being Taken Down to ZeroThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his friend Gerry Trentham (dancer, choreographer, Artistic Director of pounds per square inch performance, teacher). Gerry shares how increasing body awareness allows for a greater sense of both pleasure and pain. He also chats about how certain questions can bring a person to zero, but at that place there […]
- Ep 7 Ellen Rolfes - Adversity is a Gift: Being in It but Not of ItThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his friend and neighbor Ellen Rolfes (entrepreneur, storyteller, philanthropy strategist). Ellen shares how listening to her inner voice has guided her own story and allowed her to help others tell their stories too. Rather than perceived burdens, Ellen details how adversity and fears can be tremendous gifts that can […]
- Ep 6 Jim Thurston - Mutual Respect, Gratitude, and Being Good Not Knowing EverythingThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe interviews his long-time friend Jim Thurston (carpenter, creative, co-owner of CWT Builders, farmer) about what qualities allow a friendship to endure. Jim and Kevin talk about their college days and discover a new gratitude for the difficulties they experienced and also those mentors who saw them through. Go to the […]
- Ep 5 Derek Diamond - Reciprocity, Resiliency, and RelatabilityThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe chats with Derek Diamond (podcast host and filmmaker) about why Derek first created his podcast and how his rationale has evolved over time. Derek explains how sharing one's own stories about overcoming adversity can help others foster their own resiliency. Check out Derek's podcast for great film and TV content […]
- Ep 4 Keith Del Principe - Passion, Planting Seeds, and Passing the TorchThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe talks with his brother Keith Del Principe (artist, ecologist and animator) about how Keith developed a meditative practice to rewire his mind and better connect to his body in order to create art and pursue a "greatness" that he says is inside all of us. Along with his partner, bekky […]
- Ep 3 David Ngo - Living in a SliverThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe chats with his good friend David Ngo (writer, filmmaker, college teacher, and podcast host of the Best Story I Never Told) about David feeling like an outsider growing up and how that feeling has continued even today. David shares about living in between multiple worlds/cultures, and how he has learned […]
- Ep 2 Jared Hernandez - Having Diverse Interests and a Little Bit of GraceThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe chats with Jared Hernandez (writer, musician, visual artist) about having diverse creative passions. Kevin also chats with Jared about his feeling a little on the outside of a church experience as a teenager and young man, and how it taught him to give people a little bit of grace.
- Ep 1 Nikki Del Principe - Holding Tensions: Santa, No Santa, and Finding Poetic SpiritualityThe Good Rascals host Kevin Del Principe chats with Nikki Del Principe (writer, producer, actor) about her experience feeling like an outsider growing up and how that has propelled her to reframe old institutions as well as create new institutions to foster constructive meaning for herself and others.